Another 10C controversy has come down the pike. This time it’s in Giles County, Virginia. Apparently, the School District was asked to remove prints of the 10 commandments from schools, and at first agreed on the advice of their attorney; but then after another School Board meeting at which a large throng of Christians asked that the decision be reversed, it was. So now a law suit will be filed, and the School Board will lose, and attorneys will make a lot of money (not a bad thing by itself 😉 ), and taxpayers will pay that money to them. They never learn.
So, I started looking into the history of the ten commandments, and discovered something. The Bible actually contains far more than 10 commandments. There are literally hundreds of things the Old Testament proscribes and prescribes to the Jews for whom it was written (who then passed it all on to Christians when Jesus was apparently born among them, and his story became the “New” addendum to their Torah) . The original 10C is in Exodus, but many of the first 5 books of the OT contains other commandments, including Leviticus and Deuteronomy.
Given that fact, I thought perhaps that as long as the government was going to teach children in the public schools of Giles VA, indeed in all public schools for that matter, the religious foundation of ALL laws, that they should teach ALL of the commandments, not just a select few. So, in all their glory, the following is my suggestion for God’s Thirty Commandments. I’ll start with the ever-popular Ten:
1. You are to have no other gods before God
2. You are not to make any graven images.
3. Don’t use the Lord’s name in vain
4. Keep the Sabbath holy
5. Honor your mother and father
6. Do not kill
7. Do not commit adultery.
8. Do not steal
9. Do not bear false witness.
10. Do not covet your neighbor’s house.
11. Kill anyone with a different religion
12. If you find out a city worships a different god, destroy the city and kill all of it’s inhabitants… even the animals.
13. If you dream or prophesy anything that is against God, or if anyone tries to turn you from God, you are to be put to death.
14. If anyone, even your own family suggests worshiping another God, kill them.
15. Kill all homosexuals
16. Do not let cattle graze with other kinds of cattle
17. Do not have a variety of crops on the same field.
18. Do not wear clothes made of more than one fabric.
19. Do not cut your hair nor shave.
20. If you curse your mother or father, you must be killed.
21. If a man cheats on his wife, or vise versa, both the man and the woman must die.
22. If a man sleeps with his father’s wife… both must be put to death.
23. If a man sleeps with his wife and her mother they are all to be burnt to death.
24. If a man or woman has sex with an animal, both human and animal must be killed.
25. If a man has sex with a woman on her period, they are both to be “cut off from their people”
26. Psychics, wizards, and so on are to be stoned to death.
27. If a priest’s daughter is a whore, she is to be burnt at the stake.
28. People who have flat noses, or are blind or lame, cannot go to an altar of God
29. Anyone who curses or blasphemes God, shall be stoned to death by the community.
30. You shall not eat shellfish.
Now those are commandments you can proudly teach your children.